Monday, April 14, 2008

Our modern day problem with pain


I was travling for work today on the plane I was listening to John MacArthur teach on how God uses pain in our lives. This idea of God using pain in our lives is foreign to much of our modern church culture, instead most of what we hear are prayers for relief at the onset of any pain in our lives. Going through the scriptures John showed how many of God's chosen people grew through their pain and trials. I am learning that pain will cause me to rely upon God more as it will also humble me. Unfortunately our modern church culture's focus is on blessing and prosperity all the while any pain is viewed as a curse. We would do well to familiarize ourselves with the people that God used in the bible and to see how through pain and trials He shaped and molded them for His purposes.

"And I will bring the third part through the fire, Refine them as silver is refined, And test them as gold is tested They will call on My name, And I will answer them; I will say, 'They are My people,' And they will say, 'The LORD is my God.'" - Zechariah 13:9

No comments: